It seems to happen all too often: You’re all for cutting down on paper/plastic bag waste so you’ve accumulated a not-so-healthy supply of reusable shopping bags only to leave them in your car – every. single. time.
After you’ve collected all of your shopping materials, you are standing in the check-out line to realize that you’ve forgotten your reusable bags (Mother Earth, please forgive me for the millionth time). I suppose you could run back to your car to grab them, but you don’t. Wouldn’t it be nice if there were some way to be reminded to grab your bags before entering the store?
Luckily, we live in a fast-paced, technological age that offers mobile apps for everything. If we are stuck on our phones all day, might as well try to help ourselves by using free, easy-to-use organizational apps.
If you haven’t been using IF by IFTTT (If This, Then That), you need to do yourself the favor by downloading it as soon as NOW. This app offers algorithms called “recipes” that you can set up in order to automate certain processes on your mobile device. The one most useful to you would be to set up a location-based recipe – one that will send you a text when you arrive to your destination parking lot.
How to Set up an IF Recipe to Create Reminders to Grab Your Reusable Bags Before Entering a Store:
1. Download IF if you have not already done so (I did this via their desktop website, you can also do this on a mobile device with a similar process)
5. In “Locate an area” either input the address or use the map to select the area, then lick “create trigger” (try to make the area in the parking lot only, otherwise everytime you pass by a street included in the area, you will be sent a text message).
7. Select “Android SMS,” which refers to a text message (again, this may vary depending on your device).
8. For Choose an Action, select the only option of “Send an SMS”
9. Add your phone number and desired text message. I wanted my text message to be straightforward so I put, “Don’t forget to take your reusable bags!” Then, click on “Create Action” to complete the recipe.
10. Once you have created the action, you will be given a Recipe ID to confirm that the process is complete.
Once the recipe is created, you are now ready to bring those organic veggies home. Maybe you’re already growing some herbs or salad at home with Mason Jar Aquaponics and just need some bulkier items. Whatever the case, you’ll never forget your reusable bags in the car again.
Check out some of their other popular recipes to automate certain tasks so you have more time to enjoy your life and live sustainably.
Already have a list of useful recipes? Share them in the comments section 🙂
- Mel from Green PLUR